Although it’s still early many of you will be starting to make your preparations. So, in order to keep you, your family and your property safe, please see the following simple steps.
Thieves are more active in the run up to Christmas, criminals will be on the lookout for any opportunity to help themselves to valuables, so make sure they are not yours.
- Keep valuables out of sight
- Keep your handbag shut (purse bells are available from Ashford Police Station reception, £1)
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash
- Make sure no one can see your PIN number as you type it into a cash machine
- If you think a cash machine has been tampered with report it straightaway
- Use a credit/bank card contactless protector (available from Ashford Police Station reception, £1)
- Lock doors and windows
- Keep presents out of sight
- Don’t leave car keys or handbags near doors or windows
- If you are going away cancel any deliveries and use a timer to switch lights on and off
- Don’t open the door to unexpected callers , use a door chain and check first
- Don’t keep large quantities of cash at home
- Keep presents and other valuables out of sight
- Remove portable Sat Navs from your car and clean the windscreen of suction marks
- Never leave keys in the ignition, even for the briefest of moments
- Park in well-lit supervised car parks
Out and About
- Make sure you do not drink too much and leave yourself at risk
- Drinking and driving do not mix – nominate a driver if going out in a group or get a licensed taxi home
- Make sure your drink isn’t tampered with – don’t leave your drink unattended
- If you are offered a high value product at a bargain price it may be stolen or not the real thing – don’t part with your money unless you are sure the source is genuine.
How and when to contact Kent Police
- If there is a threat to life or public safety, or a crime may be in progress dial 999
- To report a crime other than a crime in progress call 101
- Or alternatively to report a crime other than a crime in progress go to www.kent.police.uk/reort to report your crime on line.
Stay SAFE……but take care not to let thieves spoil your celebrations.